Thursday 5 June 2014

JAM


Farm to table; the classics will forever remain relevant. My nephew had a rough day, I saw his anguish. It is true that the rough days of a child can sometimes meander along, unappreciated by adults. “I lost my toy”, “I broke the glass”, “I didn't do well in my test”, “I bruised my knee” and so on and so forth, to an adult, does not distract focus from the seemingly more important bills that need to be paid. In the haste of daily life my nephew's rough day seems to blow away for those around. I watched as he walked through his home, minute after minute, hour after hour, his face sullen, worrying about what would perhaps be a distant memory in a few days. Still though, there is poetry in resilience. What does this have to do with jam? Well, everything. He hadn't been talking much that day, but he mustered up the words to request some blueberry jam on toast. A simple request, on the surface, but really it was self-medication, if one were to pay attention. He bit into his sandwich, the color returned to his cheeks, he smiled, he sat back, relieved, onward to fight another day. Resilience is poetic. Jam saved the day. Living proof, the classics will forever remain relevant. 

INGREDIENTS:
·         1 cup blackberries and ½ cup pichuberries (or ¾ cup raspberries and blueberries each)
·         ½ chilli 1 clove garlic (or 1 handful basil)
·         ½ cup sugar
·         1 tbsp olive oil
·         Few splashes water

-          In a blender combine berries with a little water and puree
-          Place over a medium pan for 15 minutes with the chopped chili and garlic added if doing blueberry and pichuberry jam or chopped basil for raspberry and blueberry jam
-          Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes until the mixture has jam like consistency
-          Add another splash of water and olive oil
-          Mix through and store in jars

No comments:

Post a Comment